Thursday 10 July 2008

The Innovation Spectrum

This is a term I have been referring to in my work and thought I would have an extra think about what I mean when using it.

Innovation Spectrum

The axis along which examples of music making by traditional musicians can be placed depending on how 'traditional' or 'new' they sound/are.

A way of mapping the musical products of traditional musicians with reference to how conventional or how 'traditional they sound' and how innovative they are or how 'new' they sound.


Conventional --------------------------------------- Innovative

Participants in my work have commented freely on 'barriers', 'boundaries' and 'the spectrum' and placed some of their (and my own) work 'outside of tradition'. Another example - 'well my barriers are right at the free improvisation...and there’s nowhere left to go after that to be honest'.


The Innovation Spectrum has helped me to visualise where different music projects and compositions 'fit in' to what we have already.

No comments: