Tuesday 8 July 2008

multiple musical hats

I would like to think more about the different roles that traditional musicians play.

My favourite being the preserver/contributor/innovator trichotomy closely followed by composer/performer and the lesser importance of composer control.


On any day I can be in a single capacity or a combination. I can think and act separately or as a multi-faceted whole.

Border fiddler.
Scottish fiddler playing west highland style strathspeys, old Shetland tunes or Irish polkas.
Contemporary fiddler and tune writer sounding just like myself.
Ballad singer.
Contemporary singer/songwriter.
Experimental musician/composer working with free improvisation.
Champion of traditional music.
Innovator exploring and expanding the boundaries of tradition.

Some of these roles are close to conflict - how can I champion tradition yet enthusiastically influence the traditional musicians I work with and their practice towards more experimental approaches?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just keep doing it. We as many do-ers, ideas folks and teachers as possible in the tradition and if your ideas and work rub off on just one person you will have succeeded.